The Hegeler Carus Mansion is excited to introduce a new program that will begin in 2021. “Guardians of the Mansion” aims to involve as many individuals, students, community groups, local and greater area businesses as possible to preserve this historic house museum.
The Hegeler Carus Mansion is a National Historic Landmark. Virtually unaltered since its completion more than a century ago, it is an excellent example of artistic achievement in architecture and in interior design. It is also the site of historic accomplishments in industry, philosophy and publishing. The families’ history is interwoven with that of the Illinois Valley, the United States, and internationally.
Visitors experience the grandeur of a bygone era and the heritage of the forward thinking families.
The initial campaign of Guardians of the Mansion is to restore the Ground and Main Floor Hallways. With more visitors to the Mansion, our inlaid parquet floors have become increasingly damaged. As a Guardian you would help protect and restore the beautiful craftsmanship for future generations to see.
By becoming part of the Guardians of the Mansion Campaign, each Guardian is commissioned to raise $1,000 in support of the Foundation. The Campaign will run about 6 weeks total: while each Guardian plans a strategy, initiates a goal, fundraisers, and attends a celebration for a job well done. Your support not only promotes the Mansion, but it promotes a part of the history of the City of LaSalle.
Your creativity in raising $1,000 toward your goal is only limited by your imagination. For example:
- If you are an educator, ask the students and faculty of your school to sponsor an event to raise money or sell “Guardian Squares” to display in the school.
- High school groups can do a number of things to make their goal – car wash, contest, bake sale, etc.
- Key clubs or sports teams can challenge their counterparts from other schools.
- If you are in retail, banking, or the restaurant business, ask customers to donate or to buy “Guardian Squares” which are displayed in the business.
- If you manage a business, ask your vendors to support your efforts.
- Civic club members can ask other members to contribute.
We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization and donations are tax deductible. We depend on contributions like yours to enable us to continue to promote our many stories to inspire excitement and appreciation locally and globally for its heritage, architecture, and design.
If you are interested in becoming a Guardians of the Mansion, please contact Cindy Waddick at Cindy.Waddick@hegelercarus.org.