The home was built by Edward and Camilla Hegeler for their first son, Julius Hegeler. It was designed by Pond and Pond, prominent Chicago architects, in 1902.
After Julius Hegeler left La Salle to begin a zinc business in Danville, Illinois, the home was occupied by various members of the family including the Barnes family (Edward, Paula Carus Barnes and children), and the Hermann Carus family.
For a time, the local Community Achievement Corporation used the building after it was given to the group by Hermann and Roxana Carus. Many community activities (Girl and Boy Scouts, Indian Maidens, sewing classes, art classes, the YMCA) were held in the home so many local residents have memories of using the site.
In December 2006, the Hegeler Carus Foundation purchased the home with a challenge grant from the Richard H. Driehaus Charitable Lead Trust.
In 2009, the home was added to the National Register of Historic Places, and the roof’s restoration has been completed with the addition of a new slate roof.